Welcome to Junior Infants
We are very much looking forward to meeting your child in September. In order that your son/daughter may have a happy introduction to school life next term, we suggest that you consider the following guidelines as recommended by the I.N.T.O. publication – “Your Child in the Primary School.”
Children should be able to:
- Put on and take off coats and hang them up.
- Use the toilet properly and wash their hands.
- Tidy up after their activities carefully and neatly.
- Share toys and activities.
- Use a handkerchief or tissue.
- Put belongings in and out of their school bag or lunch box independently.
Allow your child/children to do things independently.
- Encourage confidence by having children dress themselves. Please allow extra time for this in the morning.
- Don’t criticise if things are not exactly to your liking. Praise their efforts at every opportunity.
Children cannot be independent if they cannot manage the equipment you provide.
- Please give some thought to the items your child needs to get through the school day.
- Please get shoes with Velcro fasteners as this will enable your son/daughter to fix his/her own shoes.
- Choose a lunch box and drink that your child can open easily and does not require assistance.
- Choose lunches that will ensure he is independent of the teacher. For example peel his/her orange OR chop up his/her apple before school and open any packed food if your son/daughter cannot manage it him/herself.
Label all your children’s clothes (including jackets) and belongings clearly.
- Check all labels regularly to ensure that they are still legible.